Saturday, January 5, 2008

Lets blog again like we did last year!

Well, it appears that assignments have been forgotten, but the blog has not. I have been talking about blogging with others and thought, "Why don't I blog again?"
The Haiku assignment didn't get as far as it should have so why not start off with poetry again. This is a list of topics to conquer-go wild with each. But don't be a rabbit and kill yourself off in the first post! Do only one topic each week, read and critique, and hopefully we will all better poets or better at appreciating poetry in the end.

What is poetry?
Painting a picture with imagery
Word Play
From grammar to poetry
Finding ideas for poems
Using refrains and repititions
Writing a poem from an observation
Writing poems that rhyme
Preparing for publication

1 comment:

Lady K said...

During the month of December our family read about Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and memorized 'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day'. I loved the history of the poem. The song will never have the same meaning to me. What is poetry? It is a language and an expression that taps my limbic system and awakens neuronal pathways that have suffered the overgrowth of the pitiless, choking vine of sinicism. I have enjoyed finding a connection with my self, I am happy to report that I am not dead, nor do I sleep!

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day was written after three long years of quiet mourning. The original poem included seven stanzas, two were specifically about the Civil War.