Saturday, August 4, 2007

My Embarrassing Moment

I've quite a few embarrassing moments, but I figure why not go back to one that happened when I was young, since those seems to be the ones that stay with you.

When I was six years old, my parents had an old camper, one of those ones that the top kind of lowers over the bottom half, and you had to turn a crank to get the top to rise so it'd be full size. Being my usual self I suggested to my friend that her and I go inside it and play, without raising the top, and the thing about that camper was if the top was lowered, you could open the door from the outside to get in, but opening it from the inside to get out didn't quite work.

We went in and looked around, it didn't take too long to get bored, it also didn't take long for the door to close itself and lock us inside. I'd like to say that upon finding the door shut tight that I remained calm and cool, but if that were the case I wouldn't be writing about it here, I freaked out. I started screaming and yelling and banging on the walls while my friend tried to calm me down, but that wasn't happening, I just went on screaming and pounding on the door.

Ten minutes later I stopped screaming and pounding on the door, that was when all the knowledge I'd learned from movies kicked in, and I knew what was going to happen, we were obviously going to die in there because we would run out of air. My new revelation didn't help matters of course, since then I became hysterical and started screaming at my friend that we were going to die and nobody would find us and we never even got to do any of the cool stuff like drive a car or any of the other stuff I'd heard about or seen on television. She tried to calm me down again but I wasn't having it, I was just crying and screaming at her that after ten minutes we were probably almost out of air and we should try to not breath as much as we were. Then I had the brilliant idea that I was going to punch out the window that I'd ignored til that point.

I got a few punches on the window before my friend stopped me. I wasn't happy, I was still in full panic mode so I yelled at her, asking why she stopped me, telling her we were almost out of air. I guess that fifteen minutes of my hysterical screaming, crying, and punching is all she could take, because her response was a slap right in the face. Now I never really thought that worked, "Hey someone's hysterical, let's slap them!", but apparently it works well enough, because I just stopped and kind of stared at her dumbfounded as she casually opened the window I'd been punching, then calmly shouted out of the open window that we were stuck in the camper, then within a few minutes someone came and let us out.

I'd had been embarrassed for letting the door close in the first place, but rather than take a calm approach, I just let my imagination run wild and got hysterical and just lost it. If I was claustrophobic it wouldn't be embarrassing, but I'm not, I just lost my cool and went on screaming and carrying on and had to listen to my friend tell all our friends at school how she had to slap me to calm me down and then "save my life" which was pretty bad at the time, but I guess looking back I can see the humor in it.

4 comments:

Heidi A Wilde said...

ROIJFESDOIJFDSOIFJD... LOL I can just picture you doing that, is that bad? LOL Oh that was good... *wipes a tear* Nicely written and all that rot :P

Haven said...

That was great. I can just see it all happening...like in the movies. :) Great job.

goodnevili said...

This is probably a long shot, but maybe not. Thoroughly loved reading about your mishap, it reminded me of the Dudley Do Right Sagas immortalized in the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. The world needs more melodrama or at least the ability to laugh at itself. Kudos.

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

Remind me to never get trapped anywhere with you! lol
I had a friend who also had one of those campers and she and her siblings would always play in it with the top down but I was always too scared to even go in!