Sunday, July 8, 2007

Character Names by Through a Glass Darkly

1. Mildred Platt - with a name like that you -have- to have something else going for you. She would rather spend all day with her books, but she hated doing what was expected of her. So, she sacrificed what she loved to avoid being what people thought she should be. (Mildred Platt sounded so librarian that I thought it fit with perfect incongruity to her put on persona.)



2. Caerell mec Feradec - was so named because he looked a little feminine to his father. He was given his grandfather's name as his byname because his father had little use for that old goat either and he hoped people would assume his son was his brother's son if he left his name out of it. Caerell "renamed" himself Caerell mac Colban mec Feradec when he was old enough to know better, to force his father to claim him. Of course this started the whole goose incident that triggered the minor civil "war" that gave the tatcher's son the opportunity to... but I digress... (Caerell seemed feminine to me :P Obviously it wasn't as it was a male name, but :P)

3. Hypnotizing over the radio waves, fall under his spell now as he steps on stage... Mickey Tark! Women the world over love him... men want to be him... Okay so no one had ever heard of him... but they would! They would! Sure as his name was Sheldon Pew. (Sheldon Pew sounded suitably unfortunate for my hopeful hero and Mickey Tark is a work in progress. Each new attempt gets a new name, he's sure -one- of them will sky rocket him into stardom.)

4. Beatrice "Trixy" Robertson - Her parents had high hopes for their little beauty, but as her self given nickname implies, those hopes were dashed. She likes the slummy, scummy atmosphere of her "restaurant". She likes the kind of employees such an atmosphere attracts. And she definitely likes the fact that she is the boss, so what she says goes... or stays... as the case may be. (I think Beatrice is a pretty name, brings to mind someone sweet and innocent. She didn't want to be sweet and innocent, however, she wanted to be Trixy... and Trixy is anything but innocent.)

5. Dr. Michael Collins - a rather unassuming name for a rather unassuming man. He often looks around at his patients and co-workers and wonders how it all came to this. He'd tried so hard to rise above his less than auspcious beginnings, but when they told him he'd failed his boards... Well he just couldn't let that happen again, now could he? (Michael Collins sounds like someone you should be able to trust, at least to me. It sounds like someone into whose hands you could put your life. I guess it also sounds like someone who's desperate and a little insane underneath as well. :P)

6. The Honorable Lucinda Sommerset - "... of the Summerlain Sommersets, don't you know... Isn't she just a radiant beam of sunlight, my dear Baron?" Lucinda munched on a crumbcake as her mother talked, but looked up and beamed right on cue... Her smile full of blueberries and walnut bits. (Lucinda means light, so I went with that. I figured her father had enough money to buy her the "Honorable" title... and her mother is a distant fourth cousin to the genteel Sommersets who most of the rest of the family has forgotten about. Not Prunella though, and she is going to make sure they all remember -her-... erm... her -daughter-, yes her daughter...)

5 comments:

Hillary said...

Could you possibly want to trust a man named Michael Collins because he's the Irish Patriot who "single handedly brought the British Empire to its knees?" That could be an interesting contrast to draw in a story about your Dr. Michael Collins.
I appreciate that you put each of your names in a story context.
Yeah, that Scottish names website is a trip. Makes you think you'd have to do some serious research on that story!
I wanted to give Melisande the Honorable, but then I saw it was an aristocratic title. I didn't think about buying it!Duh!

PS Y'all stay tuned for the next assignment---by midnight tonight!

T. Fisher said...

Those are some good names you've come up with. I especially like the Honorable Spoiled Aristocrat. Two of them bear similarities to the ones I'm working on, though. So I totally want to know how you managed to hack into my computer and steal my ideas! Ahem.... I've got to get cracking and finish my post.

Haven said...

Very cleaver, mon Poop. I love the backgrounds you gave. I did have a good chuckle.

A clever name said...

Cool names, I like Caerell, can see that guy being a bit mad about the name hehe, but they're all good and have good stories behind them.

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

Good job! The description of Lucinda eating the crumb cake is my favorite bit!!