Saturday, July 21, 2007

Show and Tell

I wasn't sure what I was going to show, my first thought was to be my usual jackass self and show off an action figure or some such, but I decided not to.

What I have to show might just look like an old wooden box with flowers and vines carved into it, and I suppose that technically that's all it is, just an old jewelry box, a little beaten up, the main design being mostly faded on top. It was my grandma's, I'd always see it sitting in it's place, never really knowing what was in it, I kind of thought of it like a treasure chest, who knew what it held, for years I wondered that.

Grandma passed away when I was 9, and I'm not sure why but I came to have the box, maybe the adults noticed I always looked at it, I'm not sure, but there it was, the "treasure chest" that I'd always wondered about. If it held anything, it was taken out, and I lost interest for a long time, just letting it sit, collecting dust.

I'd forgotten about it, buried under various clutter that I never picked up, until we had a house fire and somehow, this little wooden box managed to make it through, a bit darker due to the damage, but there it was intact. I'm a bit of a pack rat, and hang onto silly things, ticket stubs from movies, concerts, various little things I find amusing and such, I decided that I'd keep all that in the box. Not that anyone who would ever look through it would care that I seen Something About Mary at 12:35 am on 7/17/98, or that on Tue July 8 in 1997 I was at a Counting Crows with the Wallflowers concert, but I can look through this from time to time, and I see the tickets and other little things, and I remember it like it was yesterday, so I guess that I made it my own little treasure chest after all.

3 comments:

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

Wow, loved this one! Really well written.

T. Fisher said...

You already know that I really liked this story. I dunno, I think I just really liked the evolution of your feelings towards the box. How there was that whole mystique surrounding it at first, and you built it up in your head, and the letdown when you inherited it. It sitting all lonely and forgotten, until you dusted it off and breathed new meaning into it. Yeah, I don't know what exactly I mean by that, either. :P I think I feel it's well written, or something. :D

Heidi A Wilde said...

Things are what we make them, aren't they? I'm impressed :) I keep things like that as well... stuff with dates on it. And you know, someday down the road you might have a grandkid looking at the box the way you looked at it and when they look inside they'll see a part of you that they probably hadn't imagined, you know? Counting Crows? 1998??? People were alive then?! You know... things like that :)

Good job!