Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Heidi's Name Assignment (Debra)

1. Hilda Aldus Milde. Ok, just kidding. I couldn't resist. Levi Mendelsohn. He's a young, brilliant, passionate man who can be rather annoying when he really gets going! Also, he can't work late on Friday's or on Saturday.

2. Leod Dougal MacLachlan. Leod means ugly and Dougal means black stranger. I just imagine him being born and his nasty father saying that Leod couldn't be his as he's a large man with flame red hair and blue eyes and Leod is a small thing with dark black hair and brown eyes. It doesn't help matters that his older brother Bearnard is the spitting image of their father.

3. "And now we'd like to welcome to the Starlight Room, for one night only, Mr. Charles Drake!!!" :) I just love the way it sounds.

4. Brandie Brainerd isn't the owner of the fast food restaurant, but she is the manager. I like the false sweetness of the name Brandie mixed with the sharp sound of Brainerd. I imagine her as greasy and rather plump but not very old. maybe 30. She sees herself as still 16 (and dresses that way) and is constantly flirting with the young men who work there.

5. Dr. Mitchell Banning. Son of the world renowned Dr. Walter Banning. Mitch just couldn't take the pressure of trying to live up to his father's expectations and now he's about to crumble under the pressure of his guilt and self doubt. I liked this one because Mitchell sounds like a rather weak name to me. As for Banning I just think it sounds like a doctor.

6. Miss Dorcas Collier is my fat, spoiled daughter of an 1800's merchant. Every time Dorcas' mother introduces her to anyone she says, "This is our lovely daughter, Dorcas. Dorcas means gazelle. It's that just such a fitting name for our little dear?! She's so graceful!" Collier because it means coal merchant. How shameful!

5 comments:

Haven said...

How fun! Love your descriptions.

Heidi A Wilde said...

Hilda Aldus Milde... HMMMM... Brat :P Awesome though *laughs* I'm liking how you guys are not just throwing names out, but actually seeing the characters. Names are powerful. Again, this isn't an assignment where a lot of critiquing comes in, so I can say "fabulous dahling" and leave it at that ;)

Hillary said...

I commented on Haven's that you two deserve props for not gender stereotyping. Brandie's can be lecherous, too!
As Dorcas is introduced, I can see her lowering her fan, smiling in a way she thinks is coyly, but really comes off as, well, frightening in a vampirish sort of way...

T. Fisher said...

I think all these names are fantastic. I can really see them as I read about them. And I love your poor, sympathetic Scot. I think he's my favorite.

A clever name said...

Love all the names and the descriptions of them all. Have to say Dorcas and the description of her makes me laugh every time though, so I'd say that's my favorite.