Sunday, July 8, 2007

Character Names

1. A loquacious, gregarious librarian.

Jennifer Clark – I’ve yet to meet a Jennifer who wasn’t loquacious.

Jennifer is a young, frustrated writer who became a librarian so that she could be around books all day for ‘inspiration’. If you have a while, sit down and she’ll tell you all about it.

2. The jealous younger brother of a 13th century Scottish laird.

Cailean MacTavish – Gaelic for ‘whelp’. And that’s all I have to say about that.

Technically, Cailean is only a few minutes younger than his twin brother, Fearghas. Unfortunately, he is not as responsible or business-minded as him, either. Showing little aptitude in the running of an estate, it came as a surprise to none but him when it was his brother who inherited the majority of the family lands. But don’t worry about him; he does a fine job of consoling himself with drink and women.

3. A 1920's crooner.

Rudolf Drozkowski – Yeah, I know, right? That’s why his stage name is R.J. Dewolfe.

Rudolf was born in the Bronx to Polish immigrants. While other boys his age dreamt of playing professional baseball, he wanted to be a star! Sure, that led to a lot of conflict with the neighborhood kids, but he made his dream a reality. While the biggest bully of them all now works in his father’s deli, ‘R.J.’ is making quite a name for himself. The ladies love The Wolf. Who’s laughing, now?

4. The lecherous owner of a fast food restaurant.

Enrique Benitez – Don’t call him Ricky.

El es muy suave. Or so he likes to think. Half Argentine, half Heinz-57, he not only embraces his Latino side, he proclaims it, loudly and proudly, whenever the opportunity arises. When he’s not at the store, he’s most likely to be found making the nightclub rounds, where he is a legend in his own mind.

5. A surgeon who cheated on his medical boards.

Dr. Scott Browne – An average name for a man who fears to be average.

Scott was born into a working class family, and was determined to make a better life for himself. He became the first in his family to graduate from college, and was accepted into medical school, and later a residency at a prestigious hospital. As his medical exams approached, the pressure he put on himself, coupled with the student loans he would have to pay off, became too much for him. Not willing to risk failure, he decided to cheat, just in case.

6. The fat, spoiled daughter of an 1800's merchant class couple wishing to elevate themselves into the ton. (Aristocracy).

Cecilia Teasdale – A would-be rebel without a cause.

Cecilia didn’t mind being shown off by her parents when she was a child, marched out to play the piano or recite a verse of poetry or two to impress dinner guests. But she is sixteen, now, and has had quite enough of being paraded about like a prize show dog. She finds the seedier elements of London society far more enticing. One day, she’ll escape from her parent’s influence, into freedom! They won’t be able to do a single thing about it, either. They shall never…oh what’s that? For her? Ohhhh, shiny!

4 comments:

Heidi A Wilde said...

LOL!!! I loved it! I was so going to make my Scot a twin! Totally slipped my mind... or maybe you slipped into -my- computer and took it out! And DeWolfe, eh? *howls* ;) Great job and I'm so happy you are joining us! Don't be shy, I think everyone should be commenting on everyone's.

Hillary said...

I loved to read the stories behind the names.
My favorites are R.J. and Cecilia. I picture "The Wolf" with my-what-big-teeth-you-have teeth. And who'd've thought Cecilia had dreams of her own, even if they do crumble at the sight of pretty trinkets.
Welcome, T.!

A clever name said...

Nice names, I think that ol R.J is my favorite of the bunch, but like the story behind each of them. I kind of had J.J in my head and used all my creativity on him.

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

I love the idea of the twins, very cool! I also loved the idea of "The Wolf"! My favorite has got to be the story that goes with Cecilia. Though for some reason I keep wanting her name to be Cesilie (not sure on the spelling). I don't know why... but my brain kept rejecting the name Cecilia... how weird is that? lol