Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Like toilet paper trailing...

I'm not sure that embarrassment has a shelf life, but in retrospect I can't think of any really embarrassing situations as of late. I think back to blind dates and sweaty palms, and while certainly not the preferred way to meet someone, it can be a fun and thrilling way to meet new people. Not to view it with entirely rose colored glasses, it can also be down right creepy. The world is definitely filled with all kinds. I've had my fair share of bad haircuts, torn trousers, and pratfalls. In truth I have more regrets for things I've said a la string of profane expletives as I smash finger with hammer or find a stain on a favorite article of clothing after its been through the dryer and is thoroughly set. And all in all these things appear rather petty in the scheme of a grand and diverse plan. Worse still is my desire for fleeting popularity when I was in high school. I'm reminded of the all American play "OUR TOWN" each moment of our lives is a memory in the making, but these memories mutate over time; the edges become softer, and the once clear lens of fear, hormones, trepidation, and self importance, fades. As an adult, I understand the frustration of these characters, and that our time here is measured. I firmly believe our link in the human chain is based on the mundane day to day activities with our fellow man. Centuries from now I am sure to be forgotten, but in the life of a child, an abused spouse, or homeless vagrant I can make a difference. I won't pretend that I do this as often as I should, I don't seek out the poor the humble or the oppressed. I admit that I clip coupons and bargain shop so that I can pretend to be more affluent than I am, and try to impress those whose status appears better than mine. But appearances and judgements based on them are shallow.
I think of the recent headlines and how we build up celebrities to later tear them down, and politicians who have lived or profess to live in a moral majority. I admit I would like to enter a diatribe on the NJ Governor, but do not believe this the place. Human health and growth depends on making choices, sometimes we make correct choices and sometimes not, I am continually amazed how far Sanjaya made it in the previous AI season based on theatrics rather than talent. Was it not a singing competition? I think of our President and I pray for him nightly, because we have now entered an era where the world despises us. I am a full blooded and deeply patriotic American, but I do not believe in the unnecessary sacrifice of lives in Iraq. I am continually shocked at the amount of personal freedoms we give up daily so that we can shop in safety. Think of the Presidents message shortly after the attacks on New York, and Washington. GO SHOPPING!
It was a long road to return to this but hopefully 8 years of embarrassment is enough, but we chose this as a nation, let us to make the choice to return to a more noble and dangerous ground human rights for all. We take for granted the freedoms we enjoy daily, do not fight for a banner of democracy: a democracy is another term for a majority and a majority can be WRONG. Fight for freedom for all, for Darfur, for the hungry, for equal rights which includes homosexuals. I don't have to personally believe a behavior moral in order for it to be another's right. But I do have to let the world have the free choice to make its own decisions. Countless lives have been lost fighting religious wars in attempts to prove on which side God was fighting. Luckily he is the sole judge of our actions, but his myriad warnings as well as his expectations should unite us not divide us.

4 comments:

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

I love the way this was written and I agree with much of what you said but I don't see anywhere in this where you talk about your embarrassment. I hope I spelled that right... no spell check on comments.

goodnevili said...

I hate to be so spot on but I infer that I am embarrassed by the American Public at large. Particularly as I travel. I was trying not to appera snobbish.

Haven said...

Well written. It wasn't what I had in mind when I posted the assignment, but it didn't say you couldn't do it the way you did.
Good job. :)

goodnevili said...

Gotta watch for those loopholes!