Saturday, July 14, 2007

Corn Maze Horror

I have to admit that I found this assignment to be difficult. Knowing that we should be writing down every idea made my mind shut down on me for most of the week. Nevertheless, I did manage to come up with a few ideas, so without further ado, I’ll get down to the business of sharing them with y’all.

- The day starts off happily enough. A group of seven friends decide to spend Halloween at the local Historic Farm. As the day draws to a close, they decide to take a quick flashlight run through the corn maze before heading off to a party. But unbeknownst to them, the maze is [dramatic music cue] possessed by evil spirits!
- The maze, which seems small and innocent enough from the outside, expands and shifts once our characters are inside, making it virtually impossible to reliably backtrack to the entrance, let alone find the exit. It also conspires to separate the characters.
- The maze is filled with various Halloween props: a scarecrow; jack-o-lanterns; a vampire in a coffin; etc. As the group entered the corn maze, the scarecrow was the first thing they saw. I envision them all basically ignoring it, completely missing the fact that a crow is sitting on its shoulder, pecking at its eyes. This shot would of course be moody and atmospheric, foreshadowing doom for our blissfully unaware characters.
- After being separated, the fun begins. The evil spirits begin possessing the props. (You see, my evil spirits can’t possess a living host.) Character #1, while trying to make their way back to the entrance, gets waylaid by the scarecrow and ends up impaled on the scarecrow’s scaffolding. The crows have a field day.
- Character #2’s flashlight burns out, and they pick up a jack-o-lantern to help light their way. The jack-o-lantern bursts into flame, a supernatural fire that consumes character #2, dying down to reveal a charred skeleton.
- Character #3 wanders around until they notice a light out of the corner of their eye. Thinking that it is one of the others, they follow the light. It leads them to a large barrel designed for bobbing for apples. They walk over to it, and look down. Seeing what looks like a faint and ghostly image in the water, they do what any good horror movie character does, they lean in for a closer look. They are grabbed and pulled down into the water, where they are drowned/throat torn out. (Think kelpies from Celtic myth, here.)
- Character #4 is wrestled into the coffin by the possessed vampire prop. The lid gets slammed shut, and then the ground around it turns marshy. It sinks down, out of sight.
- Character #5 gets bitten by the vampire prop. The evil spirit hops from the vampire, to char #5’s corpse. Taking the scythe from a Grim Reaper prop, it goes to hunt down characters 6 and 7.
- Possessed character #5 finds 6 and 7, claiming to have fought off some of the monsters and found a way out. He leads them close to the exit, where the possessed scarecrow and Grim Reaper wait. They plan to kill characters # 6 and 7, take over their bodies, and leave the corn maze to go wreck havoc elsewhere. Character #5 reveals himself to be a bad guy, a fight ensues in which characters #6 and 7 manage to ‘kill’ #5 and escape with their lives.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

Hey, T.,
I was glad to hear I was not the only one with brain freeze!
I will be posting, most likely, tomorrow, with precious little to say...

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

Wow, I LOVE the idea of the changing maze! That could be very creepy! I also love the idea of the bobbing for apples part. I imagine these very pale, almost gray, arms coming out of the water. Cool! Good job!

Hillary said...

I think, of all of us, you came up with the most complete story. Perhaps it is easier to not leave the brainstorming so wide open, but to limit it to one specific story line. You made a specific "real to its own universe" choice with your demonic spirits. Some great ideas!

A clever name said...

I like the idea of the shifting corn maze, makes it erally interesting. Liked how everything became possessed, but I like the jack-o-lantern bursting into flames, but that could be because I likes me some explosions.

Heidi A Wilde said...

Fabulous job here, T :) I had an easier time with focusing on just one plot line as well, though I didn't finish off my people because I thought I was getting too long winded :P Yours would make for an awesome movie I think. I'm always a fan of evil possessions and all that fun :) But what happens to 6 and 7 once 5 is gone? They still have the evil spirits to contend with... hmmm... :) Good stuff :)

banana said...

hehe.. really late comment..

anyway, i LOVE what happens to char #4. that would freak me out the most i think. buried alive.. *shivers*