Sunday, July 22, 2007

I Wish I Didn't Have to Show You

We all have something we wish we could show, and other things we wish we didn't have to show. I'll tell you about the one I wish I didn't have to show. It was my passage from childhood into teenhood.
I was a skinny tomboy. The development of breasts was a traumatic experience because it signified that I belonged to the "weaker sex." They seemed so pronounced. I denied they existed and continued to do all the things I thought were not associated with them, like wear make-up, or a bra. One of my used-to-be-friends teased me about not wearing a bra in front of others who apparently noticed as well. So, I broke down and got my first bra on my birthday. I walked in the house after shopping and there were all my friends, male and female. "SURPRISE!" they shouted. On the wall was a huge sign, "Happy Birthday, KING TIT!" I hate those guys. That birthday marked a significant transition from showing my favorite toy in school to showing the world what I was really made of. That was the day I accepted that I was not only a girl, but a developing young woman. Ouch!

6 comments:

Haven said...

Ugh, I remember those days far too well. Only my MOTHER, the ever-helpful vessel of motherhood, came home from the store one day when I was in the 4th grade and told me she had purchased some things for me. Now, I'm thinking something useful like school supplies or at least some new clothes...nope. BRAS.
I was so mortified that I refused to wear them. NOBODY in 4th grade wore BRAS!
Weeks went by until I went to clogging class and saw myself dancing on those wall-length mirrors...

I have been wearing a bra ever since.

Debra Christiansen Jacobson said...

Ah yes. Going from a training bra to a D cup in a matter of weeks in 7th grade was not fun. It didn't help that I was also 5'8" by then and all the boys were just about at eye level with "the twins". I've only hit one person in my life. Some boy who passed me a note in my 7th grade math class saying, "You have really big boobs. Want to be my girlfriend?" I slapped him.

T. Fisher said...

Heh, ah yes, I remember those days. I had been quite the tomboy, too. Still am, a bit. Came as quite the blow, that puberty stuff. Although, I am fairly modestly endowed, so I think I got away with living in denial a bit longer than some. But still, I echo hurt fam's 'ugh'.

A clever name said...

Well, I can't really say I had that experience *blinks* but I thought it was well written, and that those friends were total jerkstores.

Lady K said...

Oh, the beauty of the bounce. Did you hear about the new iTIT? It is an Apple development for breast implants. It is supposed to help women feel like thay are heard, and not just seen.
I wish I had a "Blue."

Heidi A Wilde said...

Yeah... those lovely days of denial... I was the first girl in my class to have to wear a bra too and I put it off as long as I could. When it could be avoided no longer, I donned the hated thing on. Brian Yee, who's father was a pervert P.E. teacher, kept coming up and flipping it and following me around and making comments about bras (very mature young man he was). Erica Mortensen, a large framed girl, very popular, but who did not have to wear a bra just yet, came up and shoved him saying, "What's the big deal about wearing a bra?" "Well you don't wear one." "Yeah I do." "Oh..." "All the girls do. Just leave her alone." And he did, as much as a son of a pervert could. Ahhh Erica... Bless her...

Anyway, that was longer than I intended. Just wanted to commiserate with you on the pains of being a girl :) Good job!